Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I'm sorry....I'm only trying to have a light over my cat…

Customer Question
I'm sorry....I'm only trying...

I'm sorry....I'm only trying to have a light over my cat because she is not eating nothing but she drinks water very good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She is an outdoor because I rescued her but she is very shy. She eats wet and dry food but always drinks water after eating. Now she started like for 5 days in a row stopping eating. she looks almost normal but she is not. She is spayed and 4 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes. I do

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
2/2/2016
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 years ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I have some additional questions for you.

1) Has any lab work been performed recently on her?
2) How long have you had her?
3) Was an FIV/FeLV test performed on her? What were the results?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
5) How long has it been since he consumed food? 5 days?
6) Any yellow pigment to her eyes or the inside of her ears?
7) Has she ever had a dental cleaning performed?
8) When was her last vet visit?

I rescued about 49 cats on my neighborhood. Some of them, like this one were only on the vet to be fix, because they can not be trapped. So no blood test. She is like 4 years old.. Her eyes are fine. no vomiting but I haven't notice diarrhea because she doing something but was dark and it was impossible for me to figure out. Without food she has been for about 5 days. Right now I can trap her because I have a surgery in my left hand. I live by myself.
I meant I can't trap her... :(

Thanks for the additional information.

At 5 days without food, she's at a HIGH risk of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). She HAS to start eating or her liver is going to fail. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217

The best thing for her will be to get to a vet, one way or the other. If you cannot trap her to take her in, it would be wise to consider a mobile veterinarian to come to your house and examine her. In most cases, if you can get a cat sequestered to a small room or a medium sized kennel, the vet can take it from there.

Because she has not had an FIV/FeLV test performed and was previously a stray, it would be wise to have this done while she's being examined, as well as baseline lab work of a CBC, Chemistry panel and electrolytes. Your vet may also want to run a pancreatic lipase to be sure that she doesnt have pancreatitis. At 4 years of age, it would be uncommon for a cat her age to have such bad dental issues that they wouldn't want to eat but it could certainly happen. Your vet will want to check her teeth and mouth while she's examining her.

Unfortunately, one way or the other, it's likely that this girl is going to need to be hospitalized and force fed. While you're waiting to get her to the vet, try to get her to eat something. Offer wet food, moistened dry food, offer cooked egg (nothing added), etc. See if you can find something that she will easily consume to get some calories into her body. Avoid items like yogurt and milk as these may cause profuse diarrhea and she needs to keep all the fluids in her body that she can. Since she is still drinking, you can also blend a can of cat food with a lot of water to make a slurry that she can drink. This will help to stave off liver issues, if they have not already established, but will still make it necessary for her to see a vet.

If you need help finding a mobile vet, please reply with your city, state and zipcode
.
If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback. This is how experts are compensated for their time. If questions remain, please reply and I will help you further.

Hi Saida,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy