Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat was diagnosed with fatty liver about 10 days ago. I've been giving her nutritional support since then via an oral

Customer Question
She was diagnosed with...

She was diagnosed with fatty liver about 10 days ago. I've been giving her nutritional support since then via an oral syringe.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

She is eating but very lightly on her own and drinking water a little at a time. She appears weak and unbalanced.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She doesnt really exhibit any sign of being in pain. She has lost about 1 1/2 lbs. She was an 8 lb cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She is lethargic. She isnt behaving normally. I just want to know how much pedialyte to give her to maintain her electrolites. She was vomitting yesterday but I think I was giving her too much pumpkin mixed with her a/d prescription cat food. I have stopped giving the pumpkin and I have decreased the amount I give her every 2 hours by half.

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know?

We think she got fatty liver when our water softener quit working and she used to like to get in the tub and lick where it was dripping. We think she got a toxic dose of iron. We have fixed the water softener.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/26/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi Dorothea,

I am sorry your fur baby has been so ill.

The cure for hepatic lipidosis is food,food and more food. However, it must be done slowly so she does not throw up. Plus, small, frequent meals are the best way for her body to metabolize calories and put weight back on.

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_hepatic_lipidosis#

A/D is the best food for her, add a tablespoon or warm water to dilute it because its thick.

A tablespoon of pedialyte every hour will keep her eletrolytes balanced.

She should also be taking denosyl which is SAMe once a day for her liver:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/cat/cat-liver-health/denosyl-for-cats

Rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into her gums every 6 hours to raise her blood sugar in case she is hypoglycemic

Please let me know how she is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Hi Dorothea,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri