Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Thanks. My cat has a bacterial infection (per urine sample).

Customer Question
Thanks for responding....

Thanks for responding. My cat has a bacterial infection (per urine sample). How long should it take for the cat to respond to antibiotics

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Ok. I have two cats about the same age. I took one in because she was not acting the way she normally does, and did not have much of an appetite I took her in to get this checked out and the took a urine sample as well as a blood sample. She had a really high white blood cell count and there was bacteria in the urine . The vet wanted to start on a course of antibiotics and appetite stimullant while she waited for her lab to culture the bacteria to determine the right kind of antibiotic to treat her with. This is the third day and I think that she is better but can't tell for sure. Hence the quesstion, is it my imagination or could she be improving?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

P.S. My other cat is also 16 so I took her in for a senior screen. She has high blood pressure and bacteria as well. But she seems normal to me. The vet also wanted me to treat her with antibiotics but since she is behaving the way she always does, I am wondering if there is a way to tell ps i guest I can. what is the next step?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/24/2016
Cat Vet: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, and thanks for requesting me.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am in a very different time zone to you and have just come online first thing this morning and found your question. My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. This is a very short answer I know, but in my experience it can often take three or four days for a cat in your one's situation to start to respond to antibiotics. If antibiotic therapy is going to help then you can reasonably hope to start to see signs of improvement over the next couple of days.

2. In any case your vet is taking a very thorough approach in having run a culture lab test, hopefully this will reveal the cause of your cat's infection and the correct antibiotic to use, so you have this to fall back on.

3. The good thing here is that urinary tract infections in female cats are rarely very serious in my experience and usually respond well to treatment and the condition may well resolve on it's own. In your case this could well be a bacterial infection but this not so common, most female cats which present with UTI type symptoms have an inflammation of the bladder which is not infection related, but read more of this HERE

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

If my answer was helpful to you then I would be much obliged if you would be be kind enough to rate my service to you using the site rating system, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?