Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat recently started to lose s balance.. looks like back…

Customer Question
Yes, my cat recently...

Yes, my cat recently started to lose his balance.. looks like back legs. he is between seventeen or eighteen yrs old.. when he walks he seems to go off balance a little. sometimes falling..he is a maine coon. he has lose weight over the past few yrs. he used to be a diabetic. I checked his blood with my Ipet kit it was 117. I weighed him yesterday and he is 9 lbs. May of 2015 he was 9.75 what can be causing his unsteadyness

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. Did your cat have a fall?

No.. he usually runs around after he does his business.. he hardly has a meat on his bones.. he went to jump on table this morning and fell. (I had a few items on table so his may have misjudged but he did fall on floor on he side. he eats drinks

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Gizmo...and I love him sooooooooooooooo much I do not want to lose him I'm really sad right now.. I went through a lot to save this cat yrs ago from a girl who mistreated him badly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?

No I don't think so.. this wobbly just started about a few days ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Got it. Do you think this is urgent?

Well I m afraid it may get worst . I m wondering what would cause this this maybe its because hes so skinning. and hardly has any muscle

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/24/2016
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gizmo. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Losing balance and falling as you describe could be due to different things. I am glad you checked his blood sugar and that it is normal. This could be from pain, weakness, anemia, a blood clot, or something that is affecting his spinal cord. Is he still eating and drinking normally? Any vomiting?

First I would check his gums to be sure they are a normal pink color, not pale. If he is pale, then he may be weak and anemic.

Next I would do things only a veterinarian can do: listen with a stethosocope, palpate his internal organs and lymph nodes, feel his pulses and check his reflexes. That is the best way to start to figure out what the problem is and the best way to treat.

Until you can get him to a vet, keep him quiet, keep him away from jumping, and keep him eating. If his gums appear pale, he should probably see a veterinarian today. Let me know what else I can answer

I hope you were able to see my answer. Let me know how his gums look and what else I can answer.

How is Gizmo doing? Was my answer helpful?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?