Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 9 yr old male cat. Since he was a kitten he would…

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** have...
Hello my name is***** have a 9 yr old male cat. Since he was a kitten he would vomit every now and then and had two UTI before the age of 1. In the last two years the vomitting is getting worse. Almosy every other day and all of my furnature. I had a vet come and did all the testing( no xray or ultra) every came back normal except a sliightly high cholestoral problem( he was 22lbs now 15lbs) as well as very bad crystals. However when he has the crsytals the vomit was dark and projectile. Now its chewed and liquidy. Currently he eats royal cannin urinaty SO. But i wondering if he has a sensitive tummy but he needs the SO as well. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/24/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi Victoria,

I am sorry your Booboo is having trouble.

The most common cause of vomiting, cholesterol, crystals and UTI's in cats is a dry food diet.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_interstitial_cystitis.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_tract_infection.html

Cats are obligate carnivores that are not meant to eat carbs.

Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

Cats with renal issues often become very nauseated leading to vomiting.

You can give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C (famotidine) every 12 hours. I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Elevate his dishes so he does not swallow air when he eats.

Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian.

Royal canin makes a canned variety of SO, that is what he should eat.

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets before Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable canned renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

I make a batch and separate it into daily portions for my own CRF kitty.

If you do not have time to make food canned royal canin should be fine for him.

Please let me know how Booboo is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Hi Victoria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Booboo. How is everything going?
Terri