Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat seems to have a sudden loss of appetite and I noticed…

Customer Question
My cat seems to...

My cat seems to have a sudden loss of appetite and I noticed recently he started to lick the roof of his mouth at odd times IE not after meals. Thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He seems to suffer from a sensitive stomach issue as I have him on a special digestive dry cat food now

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

What is the wait time and how is the fee paid?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/21/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am sorry your boy is having trouble.Licking roof of mouth can indicate pain or discomfort.

He may have a stuck item,sore, bad tooth or be nauseated.

Look at the area with a magnifying glass to see if there is an issue.

If he is nauseated add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C (famotidine) to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Feed him only baby food or smooth pate canned cat food until he feels better.Warm the food to bring out the aroma Dry is hard and irritating to his mouth.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri