Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Please. My beautiful friend is peeling blood. She has chosen…

Customer Question
Please. My beautiful friend...
Please. My beautiful friend is peeling blood . She has chosen to per on my bed so I have put old blankets on it for her. This has never happened before she is 6 1/2 years old. What can I do to help her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/21/2016
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hi Kaybee,

I am sorry Darby is having trouble.

Is she spayed?

How long is she peeing blood?

Does she eat mostly dry food?

After your reply please give me few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terrii

Dear Kaybee,

Assuming Darby is spayed, she most likely has a urinary tract infection or interstitial cystitis.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_tract_infection.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_interstitial_cystitis.html

Many times this is caused by a dry food diet:

www.catinfo.org

Stones and crystals are also possible, but less common.She peed on your bed because she feels a burning sensation when she voids and is trying to alert you to her distress.

The cranberry juice was the absolute right idea. It will lower the PH of her urine and stop the burning.Give Darby one tsp a day for ten days.

Get her started on canned food ONLY, no dry food at all.

She is also going to need an antibiotic like clavamox to cure the infection.

if you do not have a vet I have free coupons:

here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

http://www.banfield.com/exclusiveoffer/

In the meantime keep pushing fluids to flush the bladder.

You can use puppy pads to keep your bed clean.

Please let me know how Darby is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri