Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat Lacy is 14yrs old and she has not eaten well today…

Customer Question
My cat Lacy is 14yrs...
My cat Lacy is 14yrs old and she has not eaten well today and has lost her meow…?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/18/2016
Cat Vet: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?

About how much of her regular diet did she eat today?

What color are her gums?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Does she have any history of chronic illnesses?

no vomiting or diarrhea…she ate very little today..dry food..did not check her gums but I did check if she was dehydrated and she is not…no abdomen pain…no history of chronic illnesses.

Thanks for the information. It doesn't sound like there is a big case for concern at this point. As cats age, it is possible for them to have an "off" day and not seeming to feel well; only to be perfectly fine the next day. In some cases, it can be as simple as an upset stomach. I would be more concerned if this continues into tomorrow, or if she develops vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, extreme lethargy or pale gums. Inappetance in cats can be due to so many things, so it would be impossible to say exactly what is going on, but some things to consider are dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, liver problems, kidney problems, intestinal parasites or a foreign body ingestion. If this continues into tomorrow, or you start to see if any of the other signs listed above, I would have her evaluated by your vet at that time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.