Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My cat ate some Oleander plant last week and seems to always

Customer Question

Customer: my cat ate some Oleander plant last week and seems to always want to rest and not eat much
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he threw up and i saw a piece of plant in his throw up and brought him to vet
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now a week has past and he just stays there listless not moving much and won't eat or drink much
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your kitty is so lethargic. While Oleander is EXTREMELY toxic, the usual poisoning is that it slows the heart down until it stops beating and then the animal is dead. This usually happens within a few hours of ingestion.

If your kitty is still lethargic a week later, this is likely not related to the Oleander, but to some other problem. There are numerous reasons that a cat can be lethargic including fever, kidney problems, liver problems, diabetes, cancer, virus, infection and others.

Are you able to take your kitty to the vet tomorrow? They will likely recommend blood work and a urinalysis to start and maybe even x-rays.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your kitty this evening? Is his lethargy improving? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A