Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My male cat apparent has Flutd and I just paid $1800 vet

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. My male cat apparent has Flutd and I just paid $1800 for a vet hospital in NJ last month to treat him and now he's got it again
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he can't urinate, bladder notably full and he just lays there. they did a catheter last time said it could be recurring and recur it has
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: actually I was just looking for advice on the surgery and how much it should cost or if I should just put him down.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is having recurring blockages. This is a medical emergency, and he must be seen by a vet immediately, to be catheterized and empty his bladder, or this could be fatal. In addition, he's very uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, because urethral blockages can be recurring in some male cats, they must have the perineal urethrostomy (PU) surgery, so the blockages can't recur. This will not prevent them from getting UTI's or bladder stones, if they're prone to them, but it will prevent future blockages.

https://www.acvs.org/small-animal/urinary-obstruction-cats

The cost of the surgery varies greatly on your location and the particular vet, so your best bet would be to ask around of all the well recommended local vets, what their fees are.

I would never recommend putting down a healthy cat if he has a condition which can be fixed. I know it has cost you a lot so far, and the surgery is not inexpensive, but perhaps these ideas will help:

You might consider applying for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

This is a list of organizations that might help pay for vet visits, surgery and medication:

http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care

The most important thing right now, is to get your cat to an ER vet center, if your vet is not open, and have this blockage alleviated right away.

I hope all will be well with your kitty and please let me know how he's doing.

Warmest regards,

Cher