Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a 8 month old kitten that appears to be suffering of

Customer Question
seizures forgets who we are...
I have a 8 month old kitten that appears to be suffering of seizures forgets who we are and cries when picked up or going to the bathroom. We have tried several vets and they all say he's ok? Breeder we bought from says to out him to sleep ūüė≠ūüė≠
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
1/11/2016
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Gary and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear about Yeti's symptoms.

How long do you have him?

When did he start having these problems?

If you got him from a breeder, is he pedigreed? Did you pay for him? Do you know his bloodline/parentage? Does he have 'papers?'

Did the breeder give you any kind of guarantee re: the condition of his health, in writing?

Thanks for all your additional information. After you reply, please allow me some time to get your detailed answer back to you.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

We have had him since October. He's always had all problems stated above with the exception of the seizures. He had his first the other night and was violently spinning flipping and seemingly attacking himself... It's happened twice and after he doesn't remember who we are. He has papers was claimed to have clean bill of health however we have our doubts just for the fact that breeder says he's been fixed and first trip to the vet determined that was a lie. Breeder says they will replace however we that's a very hard thing to do if there is something we can do to try and remedy. These vets around me literally have no clue. And I fell victim to vets taking advantage of me as I've spent thousands for 0 answers. Cat is pure bred American curl. Appears he may be going blind in one eye ( cloudy)

Hello again, Gary and thanks for your very helpful reply.

This poor baby was obviously either born with some genetic defects that are causing his present problems, or he may have been malnourished or abused before you got him. The breeder does not sound very reputable and I would advise you to ask for a refund and return him, but since the breeder's response to all this was 'put him to sleep,' I would not bring hm back there, nor take another kitten from this breeder. I would also consider reporting the breeder to Animal Control, because it sounds like his/her breeding practices are very suspicious and why would she lie about something like him being neutered? Something is not adding up, here.

I would recommend having Yeti seen by a neurological veterinary specialist. Most specialists are found in ER vet centers and Veterinary Colleges. Your description of him having a seizure and seeming to attack himself, may be related to a condition called feline hyperesthesia. This causes the cat to try to bite his back, sides or tail furiously, take off running for no reason and seemingly 'see' things on walls or ceilings that are not there. Also, the skin on his back might ripple or roll for no reason and his back might be super-sensitive. This condition is related to seizures, so that's why I think having him seen by a neurologist and getting a neurological work-up would be a good place to start, if he hasn't been seen by a specialist, yet. Here is more information about this condition:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

It's also possible that he may have a brain tumor which is causing the seizures, if they ARE seizures, and this might also be contributing to his one cloudy eye which you think may be going blind.

This poor furry boy may have been born with a hereditary condition which is worsening and if it is diagnosed and treatable, that would be great, but if any vet who has done some full workups on him tells you that he is no longer enjoying quality of life and should be put down (I hope not!), I would return him to the breeder, tell him/her to put him down and ask for a full refund, not only of your purchase price, but also for your vet bills, since she sold you a sick kitten.

I do hope you're able to have him seen by a specialist to get a diagnosis and treatment and I'm praying for your little boy to be well!

I hope this helps you, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Please click 'rate my service,' as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you so much.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Hi Gary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Yeti. How is everything going?
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist