Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Two weeks ago I got a 13week old kitten from safe I also

Customer Question

Hi two weeks ago I got a 13week old kitten from safe I also have a 3 year cat and 1 year old dog the kitten and the dog are getting on good and we can leave them alone no problems at all we also have a friend that brings a dog over often and the kitten gets on fine with him as well. But my resident cat is just not happy every time she sees the kitten she attacks it as soon as she sees her she comes running paws flying and really growling and hissing at the kitten the kitten now sticks to one end of the house and as soon as she sees the cat she goes into hiding but the older cat tries to find her I'm conifer giving it two more weeks and iff it doesn't improve to take the kitten back to safe to be rehomed. We go away at times and I want be able to leave the two cats together and I don't want to have to shut cats In a room. How long do I give it for them to get along? Or will they ever get along?UPDATE: today my older cat come in and straight away went for the kitten she got quite aggressive and ripped a small amount of hair out of the kitten the kitten is now gone back to hissing at the dog who she was getting along with fine and she hisses at me every now and then should I consider re homing the kitten? Please note my older cat has never shown these signs towards any of our other pets she gets on with them fine
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Like all small animal vets who deal with cats I have advised on many variations on just the sort of problem you are experiencing, given time cats will generally find a way to get on or at least declare a truce but this can take quite a time. In the meantime the only sort of procedure which I personally have known to really help is the following.

1. Get a wire cat basket big enough to hold one cat plus a litter tray and a bowl of water. You place the cage in an area where the cats { and the dog } would normally wander in the house and you put each cat in the cage on alternate days so there is always one cat in the cage. This way the cats get used to the sight and smell of the other cat without getting at each other, also the normal cat smells get through an area of the house where they normally wander.

2. After a few days of this you then try and feed the cats in the same room each day with the bowls far apart. You will have to be there to supervise and be ready to control them. If this works start gradually bringing the food bowls back together.

3. After that try having the cats together in one room while you are there to supervise perhaps in the evening when you are watching TV and so gradually reduce the time each cat is in the cage until they start get on. Having said that there will always be the odd scrap that's normal.

4. Also products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. It is used a lot in the UK but hopefully it is available in your area, your vet will advise. LINK

I know the above idea will require quite a lot of input from you but I have honestly known it to work well on quite a few occasions ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat and kitten are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning their aggression problem ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?