Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Lori, I am doing some research on my nieces cat. She has

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Lori, I am doing some research on my nieces cat. She has dandruff that has now manifested into her skin coming off in sheets - like a sunburn.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about all I know...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No thank you. I am talking on the phone as well.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hello and happy holidays,

I am sorry, Lori is not available. My name is ***** ***** it would be my pleasure to help.

You are very kind to care about your nieces cat.

The type of dandruff you describe is usually cased by dry skin, under-hydration or both.

If she eats mostly dry food she is not getting enough oil to lubricate her skin and fur.

You niece can add salmon oil to her food, up her fluids or feed her mostly canned food.

http://www.petco.com/product/109074/Wild-Alaskan-Salmon-Oil-Cat-Food-Supplement.aspx

Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let her lap it up for hydration 3 times a week.

Get her a pet fountain to encourage drinking.

Please let me know how she is doing. If you have more questions, I will always be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,

Terri