Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has been lethargic 3 days. He was put on the

Customer Question

My cat has been lethargic for about 3 days. He was put on the hyperthyroid medicine that goes inside the ear once daily. Vet also detected a slight heart murmer. He went in for follow up visit a month ago and thyroid count was back to normal and everything looked good.
Now he is lethargic and coughing, but not hairball related. Also, his heart and breathing seem hard, his chest and all rises and falls a more pronounced way. I have a vet apt at 6pm. I want to prepare for the prognosis. I'm supposed to fly out of town tomorrow morning for Christmas, but maybe I should postpone flight....do you think my cat's hyperthyroid problem has now gotten worse and he has heart failure? He ate plentiful twice today, no problem with appetite.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

Can I please have more information?

How old id he?
What does he eat?

Was hiss dose of tapazole reduced when his count went back up?

Do you know the grade of heart murmur?

Was he tested for HCM?
Is he an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 14 and indoor, been on canned kd science diet prescription food for past 7 years for kidney disease but doing well in that area. No they did not reduce his thyroid dosage upon the checkup
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. If his thyroid count is up his dose of medication should be monitored and reduced, if necessary.Many times when hyperthyroid is treated, renal disease worsens so his kidney function needs to be evaluated.

HCM is another area of concern with a hyperthyroid cat. There is a cheek swab that can diagnose or rule out that disease.

Here is information on both:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/thyroid__signs__symptoms_and_d.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_hypertrophic_cardiomyop.html

Some of these patients get pneumonia. With the symptoms you list I would check for that first thing.

Eating well is a great sign because a cats appetite is the best barometer of his health.

Since you want to go away and he may need to be hospitalized it would be a good idea to board him at his vet until you come back.That way he will get treatment and you will not need to cancel your trip.

Please let me know what happens. I hope you boy will be fine

Have a wonderful holiday,

Terri