Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My normally very affectionate cat is suddenly ding under the

Customer Question

My normally very affectionate cat is suddenly hiding under the bed for the past 2 days. She is 13, loves to play and sleep on me.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Margaret,

I am sorry your fur baby is not herself.

Can you tell me what led up to this?

What and when did she eat last?
Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Do you have a Christmas tree up?

Do you have a rectal thermometer in the house?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has vomited since a kitten. I had taken her to the vet for this a few times and the x-ray was normal. They told me it was nothing to worry about, Since her blood and x-ray were normal.She hasn't seen a vet in a few years now. We do have a Christmas tree up, but its fake. And she doesn't really go near it. She did poop and pee in the middle of the night. And ate a little bit. But is back under the bed since. I was just able to lead her head out from under the bed with a treat. But she was very cautious and didn't extend her body fully out. And of course she is back under the bed. She is always a verbal cat, meows everyday and talks a lot. And purrs a lot too. I did notice a few days ago that she was sneezing more than usual.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Could something have scared her? Feel all over her body for any pain response. Look in her mouth for a stuck item.

Check roof and under tongue.

Its possible she has a fever. Normal for a cat is 100 - 102.5

If so, apply a cold compress to her tummy and pads.

Sneezing indicates an upper respiratory infection.

This is analogous to our common cold.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

Drain the water from the can of tuna into a bowl. See if she will lap it up. If she does, offer the tuna.
Add a tablespoon of warm water to a jar of baby food to dilute it and warm it to bring out he aroma.
If she will not eat syringe (slowly) about a tablespoon an hour for four hours.
Put the syringe in the side of her mouth of her mouth where there is a space between her teeth. Keep her on her tummy in a nursing position. Do not hold her up like a human baby.

You can make a steam room by running a hot shower in your bathroom. Then take her in for ten minute intervals.

Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Margaret,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Margaret Andriano. How is everything going?
Terri