Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I believe I have a male cat that acts completely normal, but

Customer Question

I believe I have a male cat that acts completely normal, but seems to be urinating outside of his box and it smells like water. I also believe he has lost ten pounds in the last 4-5 months. But he is still 19 pounds and holding. He eats, sleeps and grooms as normal.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry you're worried about Budda.

If he is urinating outside of his box, he may have a urinary tract or bladder infection and this can lead to a urethral blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats. Here is more information:

http://www.catvets.com/cat-owners/disease-and-conditions/flutd

He will need to be evaluated by his vet in person and have a urinalysis and possibly a urine culture performed, to see what's going on, medically.

Sometimes, cats can start urinating outside the litterbox as a behavioral issue, too, caused by stress or changes in their environment.

Feliway is a good pheromone product to help with inappropriate urination and stress and you can find it in major pet supply stores. I would recommend starting with the plug-in, in the rooms where he spends the most time.

http://www.feliway.com/us

It's important that you clean the areas he's soiled with an enzyme based cleaner, which will remove all stain/odor, so he's not prompted to urinate in those areas, again. Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, Odor Mute and many others are available at your pet supply store; just make sure it says 'enzyme-based.'

If you feel that he has lost ten pounds in the last 4-5 months, this is quite a lot of weight loss and there might be an underlying medical cause for this, as well, so the vet will probably want to run some routine blood work. He is overweight at 19 pounds, and more prone to develop diabetes which can cause more urination and water consumption.

I'm glad to hear that he's still eating, sleeping and grooming, as usual, but a vet visit is strongly suggested, as soon as you can possibly have him seen, so you can get a diagnosis and treatment, if needed.

I hope all will be well with Budda and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are.

As far as your questions about charges, Experts do not have that information, but you can contact Customer Service at: *****@******.***

Best wishes for a Happy Holiday Season!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,
Cher