Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

In southern NJ. 10 y/o malayan female has begun losing

Customer Question

Hi. In southern NJ. 10 y/o Himalayan female has begun losing clumps of hair. She is pure whilte, has no other symptoms of anything. we DID just move into a new home.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi John.

I am sorry your fur baby is losing hair.

Can I please have some more information?

You say you just moved, did that stress her a lot?

Is she an indoor kitty?
Do you see her over grooming or pulling her hair out?

What does she eat?

Any other pets?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type or we can speak on the phone if you prefer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She and her sister seem o handle stress well; we drove them on a move from NJ to UT 3 yrs ago-- didn't even know they were with us.Indoor, completely.
No overgrooming. she weighs about 7#, her sister about 9.Eats Iams Adult, always has. No wet food. Seems to eat/drink normally except when I travel for work. Although my wife (RN) is home every night, it seems to me that when I return from the trip the cat eats a LOT. As if when I'm away she doesn't eat much.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like this particular is bonded to you and loves you very much.

Even though both cats handled the trip well, moving is very stressful for any cat.

She is losing hair due to anxiety, so not a serious issue.

If you simply wait it out her hair will grow back. However, if you want to hurry the process provide a little stress relief.

Get a feliway plug-in. It goes into an outlet like glade and is very calming to cats.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906

Add rescue remedy to the community water.

http://www.rescueremedy.com/products/

Since she only eats dry food she needs oil in her diet to lubricate her skin and fur.Add a few drops of salmon oil to her food every day. It has a little pump so easy to use:

http://www.petco.com/product/109074/Wild-Alaskan-Salmon-Oil-Cat-Food-Supplement.aspx

Please let me know how things are going. Just press reply and I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri