Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat is 13 and has had a limp in her nd right leg over the

Customer Question

My cat is 13 and has had a limp in her hind right leg over the last year or 2, but tonight after going up & down the stairs could hardly put any weight on it. It twitches a bit when she lays. We've moved it and checked it and she doesn't seem any more in pain. She just gets pissy and limpy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Dr B and I would be happy to help you....please give me a few minutes to compose my answer...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

So, let's first talk about pain in cats. So if a cat limps, that proves pain....that is pain...so if I understand correctly she has been limping for a year or two which means she has been in pain for that period of time....the twitching is showing even more pain...if I had to hazard a guess I would bet she has severe arthritis in that leg and likely moderate arthritis everywhere else. Arthritis studies in cats has shown us that most cats actually have this disease by age 6. By the time they start limping you have significant pain, not just pain but significant pain. Unfortunately,there are still not a lot of really safe medicines in cats but this is what I would suggest. Get her to a vet that knows something about pain. I can actually help you with that if you would like as I am a veterinarian that is also certified in animal rehabilitation so I treat pain every day. I would suggest that you at be started on an injectable polysulfated glycosaminoglycan like ichon injection. Your vet can teach you howto do this at home. I would also find a vet that does laser treatment and get her started on a program of that for pain relief or maybe on tramadol orally with the injections. She would need to have some bloodwork done first to check out her organ function. But your kitty definitely has severe pain. I hope this helps you and please let me know if Icnahelp you further as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlotte. How is everything going?
Dr B