PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Never had a cat in this home but a cat lover and owner of

Customer Question

Never had a cat in this home but a cat lover and owner of many cats was a overnight guest and now every time it rains there is a strong cat order. Tried lysol, ferbreeze, etc. There is no specific spot but she slept on a leather couch within the room. How do I eliminate this problem that has been going on for two years! Don't smell odor unless it rains hard. I am allergic to scents, perfumes, chemicals so please, please help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem; how frustrating. I'd like to get some more info from you, if you don't mind. It will help me to help you.

1) Do I understand it that no cat was present in your home (therefore no direct urination could have taken place on the carpet) but there's a strong feline odor when it rains?

2) Have you tried any enzymatic liquids? They're usually fragrance-free and rather gentle on furniture.

I'll be with you shortly after your reply comes through. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cat in the home--no enzymatic liquid. The whole room has a very strong odor that has been going on for a year every time there is a heavy rain.

I'm betting the humidity that comes along with the rain is probably why you smell the heavy fragrance. I would recommend using an enzymatic liquid and spray the room liberally. Enzymatic liquids break down aromatic molecules at a chemical level, so any type of transfer should be removed as long as the surface is sprayed. In most cases, it's safe on all surfaces. You'll want to use it most liberally on fabrics like curtains and carpeting. If you don't see a benefit, repeat and then add in other surfaces like wood and plastics. You will want to obtain a large spray bottle with a fine mist setting.

This is the variety I use in our home: http://www.chewy.com/cat/natures-miracle-jfc-advanced-stain/dp/42130?utm_source=bing-pla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=Nature%27s%20Miracle&utm_campaign=hg

We have 6 personal cats and have about 300+ cats come through our home annually since we run a cat rescue, as well. We also have 9 large dogs. Our home does not, and has never, smelled like we have pets. Anyone who visits who doesn't know we run a rescue are surprised to find just how many animals reside here (short or long term) thanks to cleaners like this one.

Although I don't think it will work for you (due to your perfume sensitivity), I am also a big fan of adding a small amount of essential oil or fabric softener to the enzymatic liquid spray bottle and misting fabric surfaces where the cats like to lay that are hard to clean (like a couch).

We use these spray bottles and are quite pleased with them: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-oz-All-Purpose-Wide-Mouth-Sprayer-FG32HD3-21/205050147

If my response has helped you, please take the time to positively rate my assistance. If questions remain, please reply and I'll continue to assist you. You will still be able to reach me after you've issued a rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The recommendation you made is not fragrance --free, I called the mfr to make sure and they said none of their products are fragrance-free. Would you recommend a fragrance-free product that works and then I will rate you after I find out whether or not it works. Thank you.

I'm surprised they stated this because this product has no detectable fragrance, which is why I add fragrance to my own.

That said, there's this item: http://www.net32.com/ec/empower-empower-1-gal-fragrance-free-dual-d-125955

As listed on the label, it is fragrance-free.

Also, you may wish to swing by petsmart or another store that carries the line to determine if the product truly does have a fragrance by your nose. I've used this one since 2008 and there is no detectable odor in my home unless I fragrance the product. The two I have used are the original in the white bottle and the advanced in the red bottle. In fact, until doing more research for your question, I didn't know they had a FRAGRANCED line. None of their items up to this point that have been readily available in my area have come with a fragranced option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I again called the company that you recommend Empower and that seems to be used in dentistry to clean equipment--ENZYMATIC DETERGENTS
EmPower, MetriZyme, DetergeZyme
Technical Bulletin
The importance of cleaning instruments prior to disinfection
Reusable medical instruments are required to be properly cleaned and disinfected between each use. Cleaning is defined as the removal of all foreign material such as blood, protein, cellular debris, tissue, respiratory secretions, mucus, saliva, feces, etc. from objects. If the instrument is not clean, the organic soil can harbor embedded microorganisms. Organic soil can prevent the penetration of the germicide and render the disinfection or sterilization process ineffective. Additionally, some disinfectants such as hypochlorites are inactivated by organic material.i Have you or colleagues used this product?

Cleaners like this are commonly used in veterinary and other medical offices to disinfect medical instruments. In addition to the foreign material you listed, urine also must be removed. This enzymatic cleaner should do precisely what you're needing and it's also fragrance-free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it work the same; it is a concentrate so do I add the water and spray it in the room as you recommended above?

You'll use one ounce to one gallon of water. You can pre-mix in a one gallon jug or calculate the math down for a smaller bottle. If you wish to use the one I posted above, you'll use 1/4oz to the 32oz spray bottle. That breaks down to 1/2 TBSP per 32oz spray bottle.

You may wish to do a test spray on surfaces to monitor for discoloration but, again, I haven't seen that cause an issue with these cleaners. They tend to be safe on clothing, fabrics, carpet, etc.