Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

As you can imagine, our 15yr cat is peeing in place he

Customer Question
shouldn't. Trying to find a...
As you can imagine, our 15yr cat is peeing in place he shouldn't. Trying to find a solution. The cat is actually my girlfriend's whom moved into my house about 2 years ago. There has been a lot of changes for the cat, but that was 2 years ago....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
11/12/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am so so sorry Tigger is peeing where he should not.

I can help you with his but I need to more information so I can get to know him

Is he neutered?

Is he an only pet?

How long is he doing this?

How many boxes do you have out? covered or open?

Is Tigger a nervous or calm kitty?

Does he eat mostly dry food?

Please list all the changes?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

1. Yes
2. The Only one in the house but 2-3 free cats outside around the house
3. 1 1/2 year since we move in the house after 14 years in the same appartement
4. 2 boxes, 1 cover 1 not
5. Tigger is a relax cat, sociable, affectionate
6.dry food Only
7. I move in a house with my boyfriend after 14 years alone with the cat. This is the only (big) change...

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I am sorry you are having trouble with Tigger.

I see a couple of possibilities for his behavior.Fortunately, they all have solutions.

Due to the move and addition of another person, plus the outside cats, Tigger is a bit insecure about his territory and his standing in the hierarchy. Those outside cats are spraying on your house. Tigger can smell it and it worries him. He is afraid they will try to come in the house. Hence, he leaves urine around to say "HEY, Tigger lives here! This is HIS house!"

Every cats urine is his personal signature, his calling card, so to speak. So to stop this you must use zero odor to remove all the pee outside your house.

http://www.zeroodorpet.com/

You can get a black light in a garden shop or ebay to show your exactly where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRTIDH74esc

Next spray with feliway to fool cats everything is already marked:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/feliway/page1.aspx

I would also use a scarecrow to keep those outdoor cats away from the house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKx4SfP13kI

Believe me, Tigger can smell cat pee a block away. If it is on HIS house outside he will mark the inside walls, doors and thresholds to make sure HIS scent is the strongest.

The other issue can be dry food as it causes a condition called interstitial cystitis so Tigger may feel a burning sensation when he voids

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_interstitial_cystitis.html

Many times this is caused by a dry food diet:

www.catinfo.org

Give him 3 drops of cranberry juice every day for ten days to lower the PH of his urine and stop the burning.

He may be a bit arthritic

Canned food is also excellent for arthritis as is a glucosimine supplement:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_arthritis___joint_disease_cent.html

Make sure he is comfortable with the pans you are using as to size and locations

Please let me know how things are going. I will always be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tigger. How is everything going?
Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert