petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

4 yr old feral cat female has large mass on the right side

Customer Question

4 yr old feral cat female has large mass on the right side of her abdomen if she is facing you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Are you able to handle her at all?

Have you been able to feel the mass? Is it firm or soft?

How long has it been present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She appears to me when she is really hungry. Sometimes she appears every night for a week and then i won't see her for a few months. She has been doing this for 3 1/2 yrs…..she is about 4 now. After leaving 2 litters of kittens in my garage trapped her an had her fixed. Last night i rubbed her belly and there was a really big hard mass. HEr weight and appetite is good. She looks great.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oops, if she is facing you it is on the left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guess not….goodbye
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am here....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It is impossible to speculate on what the mass may be as there are so many possibilities. The fact that it is hard makes a fluid filled lesion (like an abscess less likely). Even with an exam, it would still be difficult to come to even a tentative diagnosis with out further testing like at least a needle aspirate to try to identify cell type.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is so big you can actually SEE that that side of her is bigger than the other side.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Some tumors can get very large in size, but that has no bearing on it's prognosis. Benign and malignant tumors alike can be large in size. Unless you can catch her and have her examined and maybe have the mass evaluated further, about all we can say is that it is a tumor with no further clarification as to where it originated from or prognosis.

I am sorry that I can't be more definitive, but it is just not possible.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT ORGANS ARE ON THAT SIDE?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

liver, kidney, intestine,adrenal gland and spleen, are all present on that side, but really any abdominal organ, if large enough (including gall bladder, and pancreas) can displace other organs and move to the left.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

The fact that it is bulging on the left is really not of any consequence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT TYPE OF TUMOR DO YOU THINK IT MOST RESEMBLES?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am really not trying to be evasive, but with the details you have provided, it could be anything. Mast cell tumor, adenocarcinoma, lymphosarcoma, lipoma or liposarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, hepatic carcinoma, are all possibilities, but not limited to those.