Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

4 yr old feral cat female has large mass on the right side

Customer Question
of her abdomen if she...
4 yr old feral cat female has large mass on the right side of her abdomen if she is facing you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
11/11/2015
Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Are you able to handle her at all?

Have you been able to feel the mass? Is it firm or soft?

How long has it been present?

She appears to me when she is really hungry. Sometimes she appears every night for a week and then i won't see her for a few months. She has been doing this for 3 1/2 yrs…..she is about 4 now. After leaving 2 litters of kittens in my garage trapped her an had her fixed. Last night i rubbed her belly and there was a really big hard mass. HEr weight and appetite is good. She looks great.
oops, if she is facing you it is on the left.
are you there?
guess not….goodbye

I am here....

ok

It is impossible to speculate on what the mass may be as there are so many possibilities. The fact that it is hard makes a fluid filled lesion (like an abscess less likely). Even with an exam, it would still be difficult to come to even a tentative diagnosis with out further testing like at least a needle aspirate to try to identify cell type.

it is so big you can actually SEE that that side of her is bigger than the other side.

Some tumors can get very large in size, but that has no bearing on it's prognosis. Benign and malignant tumors alike can be large in size. Unless you can catch her and have her examined and maybe have the mass evaluated further, about all we can say is that it is a tumor with no further clarification as to where it originated from or prognosis.

I am sorry that I can't be more definitive, but it is just not possible.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

WHAT ORGANS ARE ON THAT SIDE?

liver, kidney, intestine,adrenal gland and spleen, are all present on that side, but really any abdominal organ, if large enough (including gall bladder, and pancreas) can displace other organs and move to the left.

The fact that it is bulging on the left is really not of any consequence.

WHAT TYPE OF TUMOR DO YOU THINK IT MOST RESEMBLES?

I am really not trying to be evasive, but with the details you have provided, it could be anything. Mast cell tumor, adenocarcinoma, lymphosarcoma, lipoma or liposarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, hepatic carcinoma, are all possibilities, but not limited to those.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian