How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Feline Specialist
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 21380
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat is sick. Saw m vomiting two days ago. Took m to vet

Customer Question

Hi, my cat is sick. Saw him vomiting two days ago. Took him to vet later that day when I saw he was not eating. Vet said cat had fever, gave him injection for vomiting. A day later, cat still not eating, lethargic. I noticed some fabric in his stool -- seems like he ate part of a sock. Will this resolve on it's own. Or should I go to vet again? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry your cat isn't feeling well and it seems that he ate part of a sock. This can cause an intestinal obstruction, and he won't be able to pass any stool, if there are more pieces of the sock. Sometimes he can get rid of a 'foreign body' (the sock) by himself, and sometimes, he needs the vet's help. You can give him some hairball remedy gel like Laxatone or Petromalt to help any remaining pieces of the sock, hopefully move through his system. There is no way to know at this time, whether it will pass on it's own, so it would be best to bring him back to the vet, asap. They might do some imaging, like an x-ray to see what is in his intestinal system. He may have swallowed some other non-food item, too.

Also, if he's not eating, it can be due to his fever and the antibiotic, but if a cat doesn't eat, even for a short time, he can develop a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis and we would want to avoid that at all costs.

Continue to monitor him and if he seems to worsen, bring him to an ER vet tonight. If he stays the same or seems a little improved, you can wait until tomorrow morning and bring him to the vet, first thing, when they open.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,


Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how your kitty is feeling, today. Were you able to have him seen by an ER vet last night or his regular vet, today? Please let me know, as I'm concerned for him and hope all will be well. Thanks!

Warmest regards,