Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I've had a problem with burial plans of my cat, and she has

Customer Question

I've had a problem with burial plans of my cat, and she has been soft and , nose running, etc. 5 days later. Is there a chance she is in a deep sleep or coma,
Thank you..charmaine
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Is she breathing?

Can you feel a heartbeat on her chest?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not quite sure on heart beat...if hers or mine through hearing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After so many days would she be all limp still.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there😯😐
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I had gotten called away for an emergency.

It sounds like she is dead. The fluid coming from the nose is most likely fluid that was in the lungs and fluid from the lungs starting to decompose. It will often times be a watery fluid with some bubbles- sometimes tinged red.

If her chest is not moving up and down every few seconds, then she is not breathing and you can be certain that she is dead. Another thing you will see, is open eyes with dilated pupils. If you touch your finger to the front of the eye, there will not be a blink reflex. If you want to just be on the safe side, run her to a vet so they can listen with a stethoscope for a heartbeat. It sounds like she is dead, though.

From here, you could either have her cremated through a vet clinic or you can bury her at home. If you bury her, I would put her in a small box or plastic bag first.

I'm sorry for your loss. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?