Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

13 year old cat is eating twice as much as she did a year

Customer Question

13 year old cat is eating twice as much as she did a year ago but is real thin
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

It sounds from your description, like your cat is exhibiting classic symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which is not uncommon in older cats. Here is more detailed information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/Companion/Internal/conditions/felinehyperthyroidism.cfm

There are other conditions that may cause these symptoms, as well, but a visit to the vet, where a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test can be done, will provide more diagnostic tools for the vet.

Hyperthyroidism can be treated easily with oral medication, a transdermal gel, rubbed into the inside pointy part of the ear, or a prescription food by Science Diet called Y/D. If she is diagnosed with this condition, your vet will help you decide which treatment is best for her.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl, once she is diagnosed and treated!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with your kitty and if you found my answer helpful. Were you able to take her to the vet for an exam and testing? I hope things have improved!

If I can help you with anything else, please Reply to let me know, or Rate my answer with positive feedback (3-5 stars) so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you so much!

Warmest regards,

Cher