How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terri Your Own Question
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 32666
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Terri is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Have a Bengal cat, almost 2 year old boy, a month ago he

Customer Question

Hi I Have a Bengal cat, almost 2 year old boy, a month ago he start to have a sore on his lips, we took him to the vet, they give him a some kind of spray, and antibiotic, but he still have the same thing, and it is even look worse!
Read more:
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 2 years ago.


Thanks so much for requesting me. I am so sorry Simba has this trouble.

It sounds like an eosinophelic granuloma. Does it look like this?

We usually give shot of depo medrol to clear it up.

In the meantime just apply raw honey 3 times a day. It is safe if he ingests it. . You can get it in any health food store.It is a marvelous healing agent:

It is usually and allergic reaction to food or a flea bite.

Please let me know how Simba is doing. I hope he feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.



Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for your reply, please see attached photos of Simba's sore.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to mention that he was taking Vetericyn VF, Chlorhex solution, and antibacterial pills

Expert:  Terri replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for the GREAT pics. They are very helpful.

It definitely looks like the beginning of an eosinophic granuloma (also called a rodent ulcer) However it has nothing to do with rodents. It is caused by an allergic reaction. Simba could have been bitten by one flea and he was allergic to the saliva.

Sometimes it is caused by an allergy to an ingredient in his food.The most common allergies are to an ingredient called carageenan or poulty

His vet may have thought the infection was bacterial, hence the antibiotic. It is usually treated with a steroid injection.

Was he injured or bitten on his lip?

Try the honey for a few days and see if it clears up.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for you quick reply

He never been injured or bitten on his lip, the only thing is I take him for a walk every so often, he love to be on a leach and take a walk.

I did apply raw honey as you said, but he kept licking it :)

Expert:  Terri replied 2 years ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person!

I don't understand why his vet thought he had a bacterial infection since he has not been injured.It is obviously an eosinophilic granuloma. I can tell from your great pictures.

You will need to apply the honey three times a day for several days to clear it up. Don't worry about him licking it because it cannot hurt him.

If it does not look much better by Wednesday he will need a steroid shot. The one shot clears in up in a day or two.

Please be so kind as too rate my answer so I am credited by the site.

I will still be here for you at no additional charge.



Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Moamen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simba. How is everything going?