Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Do kittens show neurological symptoms from malnutrition?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
10/12/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am so sorry Maverick is not feeling wel.

Bless you for saving him!

It sounds like he has a potassium deficiency called hypokalema.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hypokalemia-or-low-potassium-levels-in-cats/288

It causes muscle weakness and tremors.

The vet can give him a potassium supplement.

In the meantime sprinkle some salt substitute on his food.

Please let me know how he is doing. I hope he feels better very soon.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri

Even though his bun and creatine and potassium were normal Thursday he could have hypokalemia. Did you receive my other info about treating for 3 weeks for UTI. Oral and injection antibiotics and iv fluids. Thurs his temps were down also. I'm feeding him purina critical care a/d food. Does that have higher potassium supplements? I believe it's high in protein.

He may also have a vestibular disorder. It is similar to our motion sickness and upsets the equilibrium

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

A/D critical care is higher in protein but not potassium.

Both of those disorders are completely treatable. He could have low potassium from being malnourished.

I would try a quarter tsp of salt substitute on his food.

A below normal temp leads to inappetence. Normal for a cat is 100 - 102.5

Please let me know what is happening with him.

Please reply with any more questions or if you prefer we can speak on the phone

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maverick. How is everything going?
Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert