Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My female cat was ran over yesterday been to the vets has

Customer Question

my female cat was ran over yesterday been to the vets has concussion my question is she cant stand up just flopped over and is just sleeping
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Molly had this accident. It sounds like she has a disturbance to her equilibrium. It is similar to human motion sickness. It can make her feel nauseated and disoriented because it affects her balance.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

It could be caused by the concussion or an injury to her middle ear.

http://www.petco.com/Content/ArticleList/Article/0/-1/147/Head-Trauma-in-Cats.aspx

Both cause sleepiness. The pain medication can also make her feel loopy.

It is best not to syringe feed at this time because she could aspirate.But when you do insert the dropper in the side of her mouth where there is a space between her teeth. Don't hold her up like a human baby. Keep her on her tummy in a nursing position. Try too get her to lick an ice cube.

Drain the water from can of tuna into a bowl. See if she will lap it up on her own. If she does offer some tuna. It is possible she is having trouble smelling her food so warm it to bring out the aroma. Offer her tuna, canned food,baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

She IS going to need a lot if rest, preferably in a darkened, quiet room. You should see improvement in the next two days.

If not, she needs subQ fluids and an anti-nausea medication from her vet.

Please let me know how Molly is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.

Love and prayers for her complete recovery,

Terri