Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

Wondering about borax and cats. i just adopted a 4month old

Customer Question

wondering about borax and cats. i just adopted a 4month old cat today
i had a bug infestation earlier in the year so (no pets then) i put borax all behind my claw foot tub and in my kitchen generously around edges) -- of coruse as soon as the new cat got here she went straight for the borax and laid down in it
i wasnt really thinking and had to leave the house for a few hours so didnt get it off her fur
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didnt clean any of it off her - i was out of it today (wasnt expecting to bring home a cat)....
she sat on me and then there was white stuff on my pants but i thought she was just dirty..
later i pet her and thought 'oh she is dusty'' also didnt connect the dots
her eye seemed irritated so i put colloidal silver gel in it...it is still reddish inside
what made me nervous was she was sleeping on my lap at two different points and almost seemed like she was hyperventilating a little -- her breathing increased really really fast almost like she couldnt break - but both times i pet her and atalked to her and she immediately calmed down and breathed normalwondering what i should do. i think she already gave herself a bath - i will wipe her down with a damp rag.
i am nervous as i just got her today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also worried if indeed it was borax that got in her eye - which i suspect..its now been several hours - ive put colloidal silver gel in...anything else i can do?
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in canine Health. I see you have requested a Phone call. I can help with that but do want to alert you that the site does charge an extra charge, for the phone call. Please let me know if you still want it. In the mean time Borax is toxic to cats. Inhalation of Borax powder can also be irritating to your cat's lungs. It can also be very abrasive to the eyes. I suggest bathing the cat in some Blue Dawn Dish soap and rinse well to get it off the cat. It is and toxic if ingested. For the eyes you can use some plain Sterile Saline Eye Drops on Drop in each eye twice a day. I would monitor the cat and have it seen in the morning by you Vet. If the cats breathing gets worse, then I suggest an ER Vet for supportive care. Please let me know if you still want a Phone call.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lydia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan