Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat has an injured paw. She is indoor cat about 10 years

Customer Question

My cat has an injured paw. She is indoor cat about 10 years old. She won't let me close to her to see if I can see anything. I have had shoulder surgery and am limited in what I can do to catch her. If I can catch her, can I give her children's Motrin? I am new to my area and don't have a vet here yet
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lexi. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am glad you asked before trying the Motrin: NO! Motrin is not safe in cats, and can cause kidney damage. Even worse is Tylenol, pure poison to cats. The only safe over the counter pain medication is baby aspirin, and you can only give 1/2 of a baby or low dose aspirin once every 3 to 4 days.

One concern in limping cats is an infection. She may need antibitoics if there is an infection.

Is she eating, and drinking? Will she put any weight on the foot at all? Does she go outside at all?

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Lexi today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?