Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I moved to Florida and just yesterday flew my kitty down

Customer Question
from NJ.. He is not...
I moved to Florida and just yesterday flew my kitty down from NJ.. He is not eating nor drinking, he was meowing all night, and has been laying under covers all day while I went to work. He did urinate last night,but I noticed when he does walk around his behind is low, and his hind legs are not extended...should I be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
9/15/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help to you and Busta.

My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer. Various experts are online at different times and I recently logged in and read your question. Your patience is truly appreciated!

I'm sorry he's not feeling like himself after his plane ride.

Did he travel in a carrier, in the cabin, with someone you knew or did he travel in 'cargo?'

Was he given any sedation before the trip?

It sounds like he was distressed about the whole experience of flying and he also missed you and is feeling stressed, now. When a cat isolates/hides, he's not feeling well. A good product to relieve stress is Feliway; this comes in a spray and a plug in diffuser and it emits calming pheromones. You can find it in pet supply stores and online. Here is more information: FELIWAY

The not eating/drinking is very dangerous for his health, so try to dropper feed him watered down paté (smooth) style canned cat food or plain, jarred baby food chicken containing NO onion or garlic--Beechnut Stage 1 is a good one. You can also dropper feed him water mixed half and half with children's unflavored, clear Pedialyte, so he does not get dehydrated. He might be dehydrated now, and a good test for this is to pick up the skin/fur on the back of his neck with your thumb and forefinger; if it returns to position right away, that's fine; if it takes a few seconds to go down, he's slightly dehydrated; if it 'tents' and doesn't return down at all, he's severely dehydrated and needs a vet's attention, immediately.

Not eating, even for a short period of time, can cause a serious liver condition in cats, called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver.'

The way you described his walk could have several meanings. If he was confined to the carrier and was laying down the entire time, when he made the plane trip, his muscles and ligaments might have stiffened up and his back may be sore. You can try to massage his hind legs, if this doesn't hurt him.

Due to all his symptoms, it would be advisable to have him seen in person by the vet, as soon as possible, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment. If he's dehydrated, he will need fluids I.V. or under the skin (subcutaneously or sub-Q).

Since he urinated last night, that's great, but if he has not voided at all today, it could be because he's not really taken anything in, but there might also be a possibility of a urethral blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm

I hope all will be well with Busta and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Hi again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Busta, today and how he's feeling. Were you able to have him seen by a vet? If so, what were the results?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating on his own, today? If not, did you try the dropper feedings?

I thought of something else that may be bothering him, considering how you described his walking-- he may have a problem with his anal glands. These are located on either side of the anus, under the skin and are filled with fluid that is released during each bowel movement. If the fluid becomes impacted or infected or if the glands need to be 'expressed' or emptied by the vet, this can cause him discomfort. Sometimes, if an anal gland is overly full and not emptied, it can rupture. Here is more information:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=509

I hope he's doing better today and would appreciate it if you could please keep me updated. Thank you!

Also, if you found my answer helpful, please let me know, here and/or rate my answer positively, so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist