How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terri Your Own Question
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Category: Cat
Satisfied Customers: 32666
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Type Your Cat Question Here...
Terri is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My kitten was diagnosed w. URI about a month ago. Her nose

Customer Question

My kitten was diagnosed w. URI about a month ago. Her nose and eyes were very runny so I was given Clavamox drops and she was on that for 3 weeks and she did get a lot better. However, when I took her to the shelter to get spayed, they told me she was still congested and that they couldn't perform surgery on her. So they told me to take her home and just wait a couple of weeks until she didn't sound congested anymore :( Should I take her to the vet and ask for stronger medication? It has already been a week and her breathing doesn't sound any better. She eats just fine, but doesn't drink water on her own so I give her water everyday w. a dropper. I found her on the street and she might be around 3 months old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forget this. I don't want to be charged.
Expert:  Terri replied 2 years ago.


Bless you for saving Spotty! It is customary for shelters to not anesthetize kittens who are sick. That is because her immune system is already compromised. Surgery could be dangerous with any congestion.

She is going to need more antibiotics until her lungs are clear before it is safe to operate.The vet may want to change the medication to help her heal faster.Sometimes they develop a tolerance to a specific drug.

Making a steam room by running a hot shower is a great thing to do. It will help to clear her congestion.

You may want to do a chest xray to rule out pneumonia.Mention this to her vet and the antibiotic change.

Please let me know how Spotty is doing. I hope she feels better very soon.