Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a 13 year old maine coon that is acting extremely

Customer Question
hyper all of a sudden...
I have a 13 year old maine coon that is acting extremely hyper all of a sudden. (Very needy for attention - more than normal) His rear legs have been on the fritz over the last years and he seems to be walking around like he is drunk having trouble supporting himself and jumping cleanly. The last time I brought him in to the vet they said he had a slightly higher than normal calcium level. He has also had constipation over the recent years. Not su
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/29/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello and welcome!

I'm sorry your furry boy has you worried.

If his rear legs have appeared to be getting weaker over the years, it's possible he could have developed diabetes and a side effect of that is a neurological condition called diabetic neuropathy, which causes weakness in the hind legs.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/brochure_diabetes.cfm

There is another possibility for weak hind legs and that can be a blood clot lodged in the main artery carrying blood to the region. This is a symptom of a heart condition called cardiomyopathy.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/cardiomyopathy.cfm

In addition, if he's walking like he's drunk, this could be attributed to a vestibular disorder caused by an ear infection. The vestibular system controls balance/equilibrium and is typically started by an ear infection.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

It's not uncommon for older cats to become constipated and that is because they usually do not drink enough. For the constipation, you can add 1 tsp. of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to a small amount of his canned food twice daily, and then follow it with plain canned food. You can also water down his canned food and if he only eats dry food, this can be a cause, as well. Canned food is healthier for cats in general and the added moisture helps with constipation.

The higher than normal calcium level in his last blood test could have many causes. Ineffective function of the parathyroid gland, a parathyroid tumor, and kidney issues can contribute to a high calcium level, which can become a serious problem if not treated. Have your vet repeat the blood work to be sure your cat's calcium is above normal limits; if it is, then the cause must be identified so it can be treated. Here is more information:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hypercalcemia.html

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to ask for any clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist