Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat, Shadow, is missing. I'm waiting to come back so I

Customer Question
My cat, Shadow, is missing...
My cat, Shadow, is missing. I'm waiting for him to come back so I can take him to our new home. Will he come home tonight? I've been asking neighbors and each one has seen him. I just want him home. Please help if you can in locating Shadow for me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/23/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to be of help to you and Shadow, tonight.
Have you already moved to your new home and did Shadow disappear from there, or from the home you moved from?
Did he return to your old home, after being brought to the new one?
Is he normally an indoor/outdoor cat or only indoor?
At what times of day or night did you walk the neighborhood looking for him?
Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
He disappeared from the old one. I have my other 2 but Shadow has been out of sorts with the fixing of the house
He's an indoor and outdoor cat. During the summer they love to be outside. Sometimes Shadow stays out longer than the other two.
I have been looking most of the afternoon.
I keep hearing a meow. I just hope he's not stuck somewhere in the house.
I don't want to leave here tonight without him
Are you there?
I'm here. I'm typing your answer. Thanks for your patience!
He's like a baby to me. I feel sad.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional details.
I know how upset and sad you are, but if you're hearing a meow, you know he's 'there' and not really missing; you just can't find him, yet.
If you're hearing a meow, and it's coming from inside the house, he may be stuck somewhere and can't come out or is afraid to come out. Moving is a very stressful even for cats, with all the boxes and people in and out (movers, etc.) and if you were renovating, there was a lot of noise that probably scared him and stressed him.
You'll have to locate the area of the meowing and hope he's not inside a wall, etc. Keep calling his name and shaking the bag of food or put the food in a plastic container with a lid and keep calling him.
If neighbors said they saw him, he must have been out and about, earlier and hopefully, is not stuck in the house, but look under and behind all remaining furniture, in closets, up high and down low and for any obvious (or unobvious) holes in the wall, down near the floor.
If you heard the meow outside, continue looking and calling his name. Look in any wooded areas, under bushes and up in trees. He could have climbed a tree due to being upset and scared and now, can't get down.
The most important thing is to identify where the meow is coming from so you know where to concentrate your search.
If you have to leave to go home without finding him, he's used to being outside, so if that's where he is, he should be fine. If possible, leave some food and water outside on your porch or stoop.
I hope you find Shadow very soon and please keep me posted. Thanks!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist