Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Dealing with ringworm on my three cats in my home and want

Customer Question

Dealing with ringworm on my three cats in my home and want to make sure I'm doing all that is necessary to combat this.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your cats today.
I'm sorry to hear that all three of your kitties have ringworm. It is recommended that a combination of oral anti-fungal medication and medicated baths, plus, sometimes, topical applications of anti-fungal creams be used to combat the problem. However, the main thing is first, trimming the areas around the lesions, or if there are more than five lesions on a cat, to trim the entire cat, as fungal spores do live in the fur and can be spread through the house, easily. Your thorough vacuuming, cleaning house, rugs, furniture, bedding, etc. is excellent and will need to be continued until the infections clear up on the cats and testing the fur for spores is negative.
The Terbinafine is recommended, so you're doing a good job with that, the lime-sulphur dips are also recommended, or you can use a medicated shampoo called Malaseb, and be careful with the topical application of Clotrimazole, as you don't want them to ingest it while self-grooming.
Here is a very comprehensive article about dealing with ringworm in cats, for you to read:
http://manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
It sounds like you're on top of things, and I know it's going to be a long haul, but isolating them and using the products mentioned, plus the housecleaning, will help, but, sometimes it can take months before the fungal infected spores are completely abolished from the environment.
Continue to have your cats checked by the vet and looked at under a Wood's Lamp, until no more spores are found on their fur or skin.
You're doing a great job; keep it up!
I hope all will be well with all of your kitties and I know you're taking precautions against you or other family members being infected.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time for additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with your three cats and your treatment of the ringworm.
I am here for you if you have any additional questions and if you found my answer helpful, please remember to choose a positive rating, as that is the only way I receive credit from the site for my help. Thank you very much!
I look forward to your update!
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
please disregard automated message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not get appropriate treatment from the first vet i saw a month ago -she only gave me the oral meds and sent me with a printout from the internet about ringworm. the first cat who got it now has three more lesions . the vet i just saw also gave me miconozale ointment and recommended I do lime sulfur dips. however, they don't do it at their office so I am looking at a nightmare all around. and now my first cat fights me to start taking another course of the oral med.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your update.

I'm so sorry your first vet did not prescribe anything topical to treat the lesions. Is the oral med a pill or liquid? If it's a pill, you can bring it to a compounding pharmacy that carries 'bases' that are tasty to cats in flavors like beef, chicken, fish, etc. A suspension can be made according to the vet's directions for the dosage of medication, and it's much easier to give liquid, rather than tablet medication. You can wrap your cat up in a big blanket or towel, securing all four paws, with only the head sticking out. Go in from the side of the mouth where there is an opening toward the back, between the upper and lower teeth and squeeze in a little at a time, waiting for a swallow. You can encourage the swallow reflex by rubbing the throat, gently. Then, give a cat-healthy treat as a reward.

Call all local vet offices in your area and ask if they do the lime-sulfur dips, then bring your cat in. Once you find a vet to do this, and your cat is on the topical and oral med, things should start improving!

I hope things will go well!

Please take a moment before exiting the site to rate my answer positively, as that is the only way I am recognized by the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher