Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

When I returned from a trip in NYC, I realized I contracted

Customer Question
Scabies. I had all the...
When I returned from a trip in NYC, I realized I contracted Scabies. I had all the symptoms of the mites and was treated by a doctor. We assumed we got it from a family member whom we had stayed with. I treated the house, quarantining every possible item that I wasn't using; cleaned the house thoroughly, washed and dried all my clothing in high temperature. I even went as much as changing my sleeping routine and would sleep in a different bedroom after I cleaned one. This seems to be working well. No bites for days. However, one night as I decided to sleep in my living room, my cat, which I've been trying to avoid during this outbreak, jumped on the sofa bed with us. So happens that night, the bites started up again. I, then realized it was the cat that was carrying something. I love my cat dearly, but I didn't want to take a chances, and placed him in our guest room with his food, water, litter box, his bed and toys. I hated to do this, but I thought by quarantining him for 7 days would do the trick. On the 7th day, we decided to take him out, carefully and give him flea and tick bath, along with a good coat of flea and tick spray. We were truly happy thinking we had solved our scabies problems. Unfortunately, within a hour of handling him, I got a bit in between my leg and my underarm, leaving several red marks in one area. My husband started to feel a little doubtful, especially, when he's been asymptomatic since day one. However, after seeing the bites, he thought it was a good idea to quarantine the cat again until I called the vet. Can I reinfected by introducing the cat back into the household? It was just too coincidental that I would get bitten the same day, I handled the cat. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/16/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello, Raysa and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Ninja today.

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this problem; I know how frustrating it can be.

It's possible that you brought bed bugs home with you, after your trip and these are the bites you are seeing. However, if the doctor definitely diagnosed you with scabies, it's very possible that Ninja was affected, after you returned home and started seeing symptoms, but before you cleaned the entire house. Also, make sure you thoroughly cleaned your suitcases and clothing, shoes, everything that you brought on your trip.

There are different types of mites that can cause intense itching in both humans and cats and here is more information about the type that causes scabies:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/notoedric-mange-in-cats

Yes, it is definitely possible to become reinfected after spending time with Ninja, if he is carrying something on/in his fur and/or under his skin, as these mites like to burrow. It's interesting that you didn't mention Ninja suffering from intense itching, as these mites usually cause.

It would be advisable at this time, to have Ninja evaluated in person by his vet, and determine if he has any mites and if so, what type. Then, the vet will prescribe the best treatment. The lime/sulphur dips are quite harsh on the skin and the flea and tick shampoo and sprays are not usually that effective. Using a topical monthly flea preventative like Revolution will also treat these types of mites, in addition to fleas, so discuss this with your vet, if this is the diagnosis.

Vacuuming very well and cleaning/washing everything in hot water is great, but you may need a professional exterminator to treat your home. Also, consider Ninja's living space, cat bed, litterbox, food/water bowls. Anything that can't be washed should be thrown out. When you vacuum, you must get rid of the vacuum bag immediately, outside the house, and it should be wrapped securely in a plastic refuse bag.

First, as I mentioned, it would be a good idea to find out what you're dealing with, by having Ninja seen by the vet, a skin scraping (painless) taken, and analyzed under the microscope. He could have fleas, various types of mites, bed bugs, etc.

Once you know what you're dealing with, it will be much easier to treat and remember to treat Ninja and your home, plus your outside area, like a lawn or garden, if you have one.

I hope all will be well with you and Ninja and please let me know how you're doing!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist