Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Just rescued a solid black kitty from the spca. she has been

Customer Question
just rescued a solid black...
just rescued a solid black kitty from the spca. she has been there her entire life & is about 14 months old, all shots neutered, microchipped. She is very shy, is unsure about jumping up on anything. At this point sill let me pet her & brush her but no more than about 10 minutes. Does not know how to play, basically just hides. She is sweet will purr if I hold her briefly.
I wanted to rescue her as I have a female tuxedo kitty who lost her brother a year ago, I thought she might like a companion. She follows me everywhere but I have not introduced them yet.
Am considering rescuing another solid black male 2 & 1/2 months not neutered yet. I thought maybe a kitten might help teach "Cinder" how to play & come out of her shell. Then the 2 could meet Andi {the tuxedo}
any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/16/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 2 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitties today.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of Andi's brother and send my heartfelt condolences.

How old is Andi?

Do you have Cinder in a separate room until you begin the new introduction phase?

Does Andi suspect something is 'up?' Do you think she knows Cinder is in the house?

Is Andi a high strung kitty or pretty mellow?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to read through it and then compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,
Cher
Hi again, Judy and thanks so much for your very helpful reply.
You replied by opening a 'new' question, so I requested it closed, so you won't be charged for two answers. In the future, if you need to reply to me about this situation, just click the 'Reply to Expert' tab. Of course, for any new, separate future questions, just type "For Cher Only" to start your question and I will answer, asap.
Bless you for rescuing!!
I'm so glad Cinder is now in the [most likely] largest space she's ever been, and enjoying looking outside. She's so lucky YOU adopted her, having experience with cats and black cats, at that. In answer to your question, you and I know that a cat is a cat and sweet and adorable is what they are, no matter what the color. Black cats got a false, bad reputation, I think first, during the Salem witchcraft trials, when people thought they were the witches' 'familiars' and they're associated with Halloween, etc., so, superstitious people fear them. How FUN that your son has a Halloween birthday and you got him a black kitten many years ago, as a birthday gift! : )
Because poor Cinder was not adopted for so long, she spend many long days in a cage, most likely, and that's why she doesn't know how to jump up on anything, but I'm glad she figured out how to jump up onto the window perch. She would also enjoy a tall kitty condo or cat tree (so would Andi), if you don't already have one.
I completely understand your reasons for wanting to adopt this baby boy kitten as a playmate for Cinder and to teach her to act like a kitten and learn skills she obviously did not learn from a mom or siblings. I think the idea is great; however, although the two 'youngsters' will probably get along well, after the traditional introduction process, this will cause twice the stress for Andi, getting used to two additions to the feline household. If Andi is sweet and mellow, as you mentioned, it might not be too difficult to introduce them.
Keep in mind the difference in sizes; a 2.5 month old kitten is much smaller than Cinder, at 14 months and Andi, at 4 years. Older cats typically don't like the very energetic antics of young kittens, but Andi isn't exactly 'old!'
Since you've had cats before, I'm sure you know the basics of new introductions, but I'm going to give you some great tips and techniques at this site, from Jackson Galaxy:
http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/
If Cinder doesn't like to be held for more than 10 minutes or brushed for a long time, either, just go with HER flow and respect her wishes. Many cats don't like to be held at ALL, ever, but I think she's still settling in and also, she's probably never been held for too long, being at the shelter. I'm glad she loves the brushing, which is so important to reduce hairballs and I personally, find it a relaxing and therapeutic experience for both me and my cats. As she starts feeling more confident in her new home and enjoying her 'freedom' from a smaller space and not so much human interaction, her 'allowance' times for being held and brushing might increase, but always go by HER rules and don't overdo. She sounds like a sweetie and so does Andi!
So, I'd go ahead and adopt this little furry boy, introduce him to Cinder gradually, and once they bond, you can introduce them (separately) to Andi.
Please let me know how everything is going and I hope all works out beautifully. I think all your cats are very lucky to have such an AWESOME mom!!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher

Cinder is in a separate room, she has never been in such a large space in her whole life, I put a cat perch near the window so she can see out. after 2 days she learned how to get up on it. now a favorite place. She has not jumped up on the bed I think she doesn't know how. She will let me p[pick her up & purrs but doesn't want to stay in my arms for any length of time. She lets me brush her & seems to like that. but never for any length of time. It takes time to get her to come to me but then sashays around my feet.

Andi is just shy of 4 years, a very loving cat follows me everyplace, possessive She has our routine down solid. She had been very close to her brother & I would have acquired a companion for her sooner except for family problems. Yes I think she knows something is up. but does not hang close to the door of the bedroom where Cinder is.

That is why I thought maybe if I got the baby black cat he might be able to teach Cinder to play & with 2 of them Andi would not have time to concentrate on Cinder.

Need advice I am sure this will take some time. I have had numerous cats before, but Cinder is scared. Why do people not like black cats? I actually adore them. Many years ago I gave my son a black kitten for his Halloween birthday. That started my desire to rescue any I saw in trouble but never had one like this. She really is a sweetie as is Andi.

Thanks looking forward to your advice.
Judy

Today is Saturday, 8/16/15 at 12:30PM (Eastern time) and I'm re-sending my answer to you, because I'm not sure if you read it last night. Your reply to my initial questions in the Information Request came out AFTER my answer, early this morning, and that makes me think you may have not received my answer last night. I just wanted to make sure you had all the information and my thoughts on your situation.
(You replied, at first, by opening a 'new' question, so I requested it closed, so you won't be charged for two answers. In the future, if you need to reply to me about this situation, just click the 'Reply to Expert' tab. Of course, for any new, separate future questions, just type "For Cher Only" to start your question and I will answer, asap.)
Bless you for rescuing!!
Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist