Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a cat that never stop to destroy our nice bamboo

Customer Question
plant. It's a real behavior...
I have a cat that never stop to destroy our nice bamboo plant. It's a real behavior issue and we don't know how to stop this to happen again. We did try everything or almost...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/14/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
I am sorry you are having trouble with Ivy.
What is she doing to your plant? biting, scratching, both?
How long is this happening?
What kind of toys does she have?
What time is her dinner?
Is she an only indoor kitty?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
She bite and eat leafs, this happening since we have the plant so 1 month. But she eat my other plants at my old apartment.She have mices toys and other plush.She have a bowl full of food all time, she eat as need.Indoor kitty.Thanks
You are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.
Thank you for your very helpful reply.
Ivy is doing this out of instinct and boredom. Outside cats customarily "play" with trees and plants because they have no toys. Apparently Ivy prefers you plant to her toy mice and things.
There are several ways to stop her from ruining the bamboo.
Rub a lemon or orange all over it. Cats HATE the smell of citrus.
Put a scratching post right next to the plant.
www.emerycat.com
Get an air blaster. It scares the cat with a harmless burst of air:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gx6Bw7v0&noredirect=1
VERY IMPORTANT:
Before bedtime use a feather wand or laser pointer to tire her out so she will not be motivated to bother the plant.
Feed her a meal with turkey. It contains l-triptophan and is sleep inducing.
Give her interactive and foraging toys to keep her interest:
Foraging toys
http://www.zootoo.com/pet-product/cat-toys/funkitty-twist-n-treat
http://www.batarat.com/
http://www.catdvd.com/
http://www.shopfatcat.com/Cat-Toys_c_7.html
http://www.amazon.com/FroliCat-BOLT-Interactive-Laser-Pet/dp/B0021L8W6K
Please let me know how things go. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Hi Dave,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ivy. How is everything going?
Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert