Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have some questions about my sisters 16 week old kitten.

Customer Question

I have some questions about my sisters 16 week old kitten. He had a rough start in life. He comes from a litter of a stray cat. He fell down into a sewer and was stuck down there for at least 2 days before they were able to rescue him. He was aged at about 6 weeks old at that time. He is a very healthy kitten, started gaining weight, play like crazy.. all the typical kitten behaviors. Beginning of last week, he started to lose some energy. Over the course of last week, he slowly declined, becoming completely lethargic, losing weight, and having diarrhea. He stopped eating completely last Friday, but still drank water, but very little compared to what he originally did. Saturday my sister and I took him to the vet. They ran blood work to look for major diseases such as feline leukemia and two others. All came back negative. They also ran a fecal, which came back negative for worms. They gave him an appetite enhancer and suggested putting him back on wet food to see if that
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Natas is not feeling well.
Rub a drop of pancake syrup into his gums in case he is hypoglycemic.
Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if he will lap it up. If he does, offer the tuna.
He should be fed canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.You can also get A/D food from a vet.
Warm the food to bring out the aroma.
A cats normal temp is 100 - 102.5. If he is too low he may not want to eat.
You can syringe or dropper feed to get him started.
Put the dropper in the side of his mouth where there is space between his teeth.
To clear up diarrhea give a tablespoon of rice cereal added to baby food.
Please let me know how he is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri