Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat is oozing poop. I brought them to the VET but they

Customer Question

my cat is oozing poop. I brought them to the VET but they did not really have an explanation. Anal sacs have been expressed and she is on a high fiber diet. This has been going on since last fall but has got increasingly worse.
The problem is constant now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Maisy is having some problems. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you today .

Can you tell me what testing was done?

If they checked a stool sample was it done at the vets office or sent out to the lab?

Has she had any weight loss?

Any vomiting or just the diarrhea?

Does she go outside?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She stays indoors and no vomiting. I would not call this diarrhea. She is gaining weight. No testing has been done ...they did not ask for it
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.

OK if this is not diarrhea can you explain exactly what you are seeing? Is this hard stool that is just falling out or is it soft and sort of leaking out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Soft stools ...small in size ...brown or lighter
Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you. If the stool has been loose to the point it is oozing out and going on for this long then we have to get some testing done. The anal glands can cause similar problems, however unless there was infection it should not last this long.

The first thing we would start with in our office is sending a stool sample out to the lab.A basic parasite panel would be ok but considering the length if time I would suggest discussing running a full PCR panel which checks for the most common parasites, protozoa, and bacteria . The following link will explain this type of test in full detail LINK

If the stool tests fine then we would consider things such as a food allergy/sensitivity or IBS. In our office if the stool was normal we would then try a diet designed for food allergies but we have to be sure the stool is clear of parasites, protozoa or bacterial infection first.

I would give your vet a call and ask about having the stool tested. Until you can get this done I would also suggest trying some probiotics daily. The pet store will carry a product called Forti Flora which is a great probiotic for cats.

If the stool tests normal please let me know and I will me more then happy to discuss the next possible steps with you.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating. Please know that providing a rating does not close the question and we can continue to chat as long as needed.

Candy

Expert:  Candy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maisy. How is everything going?
Candy R.