Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a cat that up until a year ago i wasn't able to pet

Customer Question

I have a cat that up until a year ago i wasn't able to pet her. I cannot pick her up at all. I can't take her to the vet. I have to move and I was wondering if I can give her xanax to calm her down so that I can pick her up and put her in a carrier. I understand that sometimes cats get a reaction to the xanax. that they act crazy and run around. Can you help. I'm at a loss. She is such a pretty cat but a little cuckoo.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your furry girl today.
I'm sorry that you're facing this dilemma with Chandla; it's bad enough that you are in the middle of a move--I know how stressful moving can be!
I would not advise giving her Xanax, because, as you mentioned, you already know that cats can have the opposite effect and not be calm, but get more excited and we certainly don't want that.
You can try an antihistamine like Benadryl or Chlortrimeton, which may calm her down a little, as the most common side effect is sedation. Here is more information on these OTC medications:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton
You can also try spraying the inside of the carrier with Feliway spray, but allow it to dry completely before allowing her access (about 30 min.). Leave it in the livingroom and see if she will go in there herself, to explore; however, if she already associates the carrier with going to the vet or an unpleasant experience, I doubt she will go in by herself. While you're experimenting, you can always put a small dish of her favorite food in the back of the carrier and see if that will 'lure' her. If it works, use it on the day of the move.
You can ask your vet for a prescription calming medication just for that one-time use or you can repeat what you did last time, and dress yourself in protective gear, use heavy gardening gloves, wrap her in a towel and drop her into the carrier. It might be easy if the room where you do this were empty, again, if possible.
She also may be getting very anxious if there's a lot of activity around, with boxes, people, loud noises, etc. You can help alleviate her anxiety by using Feliway plug in diffusers. These are available in pet supply stores and online. Here is more information on Feliway spray and plug ins:
http://www.feliway.com/us
I hope all will go well with Chandla and your move!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What dosage of benedryl
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
At the link I provided in my previous answer
(http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl), you can find the recommended dosage of Benadryl:
"In cats, diphenhydramine is dosed at 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1 mg/kg) PO (orally) every 12 hours but it has a bitter taste..."
I prefer Chlor-trimeton because it's a tiny pill and you would give 1/4 tablet of a 4 mg. pill in some soft cat food. You could give her a dose before the move and see how sleepy it makes her, as a 'test.'
Always consult with your vet before giving any OTC medications to Chandla.
I hope this information helped you further.
Warmest wishes,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chandla. How is everything going?
Cher