Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is suffering with week back end and a lump on s side.

Customer Question

My cat is suffering with week back end and a lump on his side. He finds it hard to walk but eating well
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
I'm sorry Disco is having this problem.
If he has a lump on his side, this may indicate an abscess from a wound, or a tumor or cyst. If he spends time outside, he may have gotten into a fight with another cat or other 'critter' and became hurt. He also may have been struck by a vehicle and sustained a spinal injury, causing the weakness in his hind end and difficulty walking.
If he doesn't go outside, he could have hurt himself, unbeknownst to you, in the house, and this also adversely affected his back/spine or hip (if he jumped down from a height and landed wrong, for example. However, this symptom may also be related to a heart condition called cardiomyopathy which causes a blood clot (saddle thrombus) to lodge in the main artery carrying blood to the hind end region. This usually causes weakness and paralysis of the hind legs. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/cardiomyopathy.cfm
I'm glad to hear he's eating well, but is he also eliminating as usual? The swelling on his side may indicate an intestinal or urinary obstruction. Urinary obstructions in cats are medical emergencies. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm
It would be advisable to have Disco seen by a vet as soon as possible, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment. Some imaging, like an x-ray or ultrasound of the affected regions might be necessary to provide more diagnostic tools for the vet. If you're able to bring him to an ER vet center today, if your regular vet doesn't have weekend hours, that would be best.
I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher