Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is 10 yrs old and has barely eaten or drank in 2 days

Customer Question

My cat is 10 yrs old and has barely eaten or drank in 2 days and has also has thrown up about 5 times mainly clear fluid a little foam
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Pumpkin today.
My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer; different experts are online at various times and I recently logged in and read your question. Your patience is greatly appreciated!
I'm so sorry to hear that she's not eating or drinking normally and has thrown up so many times. It's of much concern when a cat doesn't want to eat or drink, because she can risk developing a serious liver disease called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver' and she can become dehydrated. Don't add lemon to the water, but you can continue to dropper feed her (from the side of the mouth, not the front) water mixed 50/50 with children's unflavored, clear Pedialyte to restore her electrolytes.
She may have an intestinal infection, either bacterial or viral or she might have ingested something that was toxic or a non-food item.
Because she's a 'senior' kitty, she is more prone to develop diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues, which can carry the symptoms your described, so it would be advisable to have her seen in person by her vet asap, so she can have some lab work (blood tests/urinalysis) and this will provide more diagnostic tools for the vet. Once she is definitely diagnosed, she can be treated and start feeling better.
It's possible that she's nauseous and giving her 1/4 tablet of a 10mg. Pepcid AC acid controller, might help to settle her stomach and alleviate the nausea which may be caused by excess stomach acid or acid reflux. Here is more information:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
It's also possible that she's having a oral/dental problem with an abscessed tooth, infected gums, sores in her mouth or something stuck in her mouth, so if you're able, please check the roof of her mouth, inside her cheeks, between teeth, between teeth and gums, under her tongue and her tongue itself.
I'm assuming Pumpkin is spayed, but if she's not, she could develop a serious uterine infection called pyometra. If she's spayed, we don't have to worry about this.
If she continues to throw up, try not to feed her for 12 hours to allow her stomach to settle, and try to get an appointment to see the vet tomorrow. However, if her symptoms seem to worsen, you always have the option of bringing her to the ER vet tonight.
I hope Pumpkin will be fine once she's seen in person by the vet and treated!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bruce,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pumpkin. How is everything going?
Cher