Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has a swollen lower lip. She has had this

Customer Question
My cat has a swollen...
My cat has a swollen lower lip. She has had this occasionally in the past, but this time she has had it for several days. Today she is not eating.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
8/2/2015
Cat Vet: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 10 year old girl Halia. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible causes for Halia's swollen lip, and while an allergy to tomatoes is possible, this is much less likely. If only the lower lip is swollen, then this is less likely to be an allergic issue. Generally if there is to be a local allergic reaction to something, it will cause all of the tissues that come in to contact with it to swell. If Halia was indeed allergic tomatoes, then this would likely cause a more generalised swelling to her face, both lips and tongue. If only the lower lip is affected, this could be due to anything from an issue called an eosinophillic granuloma, to an area of local infection, to an issue in the mouth causing the lip to bulge, or even a more worrying issue like a tumor.

Given Halia's age, we do have to consider whether this swelling could be due to a tumor, abscess or oral issue. As these are potential causes for this swelling, it really would be best to have your local vet exam and assess the swelling when you can next get your girl seen. Here they can also take a small biopsy from the lip and more carefully examine inside the mouth with a little sedation as well. If this was indeed an eosinophillic granuloma, these are typically caused as a result of having concurrent fleas. Hopefully your girl is up to date with flea medication, but if not, please ensure you treat her when you next can. Be sure to use a reliable product like Advantage multi or Advocate.

I would recommend that you follow up on this with your vet on Monday if you can. It is always better to follow up on these issues sooner rather than later. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Thanks for your help. I am living in Kenya, so I don't know if there is a vet available, or if there is one, how much training they have had in small animals. She also has recently been biting me a lot when I am working on my computer. I don't know if that is related in any way.

Hi again,

Hopefully you can find a local vet who has had some experience with cats. I am sure there is one somewhere - and hopefully google can help you find one near you. The biting you could potentially be related to oral pain, or it could simply just be a normal behavioral response depending on when she is attempting to bite you.

Best of luck with your girl and do try and follow up with a local vet if you can find one. In the meantime, do try and get some feline specific flea treatment for your girl.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your girl Halia. How is she doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with a vet as yet?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Hi Carolyn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Halia. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian