Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat licked a bowl of mint chocolate chip and chocolate

Customer Question

My cat licked a bowl of mint chocolate chip and chocolate ice cream that my husband had dropped before I could get him to stop. It was only a minute later and he threw up. Should I be concerned because it was chocolate? Will he be ok, now that he got it out of his system quickly?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Harley who managed to lick at a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream. As it sounds as though you already know, chocolate is toxic to cats. Thankfully here the chocolate would have been milk chocolate, and there was likely on a very small amount on a total ounce basis. Add to this the fact that Harley threw it back up again within minutes of eating it, and we know enough to be comfortable that Harley will be absolutely fine here. There isn't anything further you need to do here, other than to ensure he doesn't get access to chocolate again!

Give him access to fresh water now and encourage him to drink, but with hold his food for an hour or two until his stomach settles. You can then try him with a small amount of his regular diet. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Harley. How is he doing now? Hopefully he was absolutely fine after the icecream licking episode!
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi Patty Goldstein,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?
Pet Doc