Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat has been suffering from upper respiratory issues the

Customer Question
last few days. Now she...
My cat has been suffering from upper respiratory issues the last few days. Now she is shaking, twitching, and biting her back feet. What could be the cause?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
7/25/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
I am so sorry Gracie is not feeling well.
When you say "upper respiratory issues" do you mean sneezing, stuffy nose, congestion, other?
Is she an indoor kitty?
Is she still going after her feet?
Is she eating and eliminating normally?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Gracie is sneezing, has a stuffy nose, and is congested. She eats and drinks but not as much as she usually does. She is indoor but does go outdoors on occasion. She is no longer grabbing at her feet.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.
I am glad Gracie is no longer biting her feet. It may have been stress related like a kid biting their nails.
She most likely has cat flu. This is analogous to our common cold.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html
All cats carry upper respiratory virus on their own fur. Cats that live together become immune to the carried strain but as soon as the bacterium is exposed to another cat it will infect them. If Gracie was exposed to other cats she likely contracted it from them or stress.Since the virus is airborne direct contact is not even necessary.
Feed her very odorous food so she can smell it and will keep eating. If she gets dehydrated, give her a few droppers of unflavored pedialyte throughout the day to hydrate her and balance her electrolytes. You can also drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let her lap it up.
She can have an OTC called clortrimeton - a quarter of a 4 tablet every 24 hours if she is congested. It is very tiny so if you add it to wet food she will not detect it:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx
Or benedryl @ one mg per lb every 12 hours
You can also use little noses pediatric nose drops @ 2 drops in each nostril
You can also take her in a steamy bathroom where you have run a hot shower to break up congestion. If she develops any colored mucus that means the infection has turned bacterial and will respond to an antibiotic.Some vets script one even if it is viral to prevent secondary infections like pneumonia.She should be seen if she refuses to eat or gets any worse.
Please let me know how Gracie is doing. Just reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert