Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 1 year old cat had some kind of accident with a hind leg

Customer Question

My 1 year old cat had some kind of accident with a hind leg injury. The vet took care of that yesterday, but he is not drinking water or eating much and going to the litter box, howling while he tries to expel something, but little to nothing is coming out. Thoughts? Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question.
My apologies for the delayed response, but the expert you requested is no longer active on the site, so I had to wait for the request lock to expire before I could send my answer.
I'm so sorry to hear that your cat injured his hind leg.
If he is not drinking or eating much, he may not have too much to eliminate, however, if he is in pain and howling when he tries to expel something, there could be various causes. It may cause him pain to stand and strain to eliminate in the litterbox, due to his leg injury. In male cats, if they can't urinate or they try and are experiencing pain, this can be due to a urinary tract infection or a urinary blockage, which is considered a medical emergency.
If he is straining to defecate and howls in pain, he may have an intestinal obstruction or a large hairball mixed with stool, that he can't get rid of.
Sometimes, a hind leg injury can also affect the hip or back (spine) area, and he may have a vertebral disc problem, so this is causing him pain when he strains to eliminate.
In any case, because he's male and cannot eliminate (urinate) normally, with only a few drops or nothing coming out , it would be advisable to have him seen as soon as possible by a vet or ER vet center, to make sure he's not blocked. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm
If your vet didn't prescribe any pain medication, he may need something to help him tolerate the pain better.
After finding out if he has a urinary blockage or intestinal blockage, and that problem is treated, if necessary, you can dropper or syringe feed him with watered down smooth canned cat food or plain jarred baby food chicken containing no onion or garlic. Go in from the side of his mouth where there is an opening between the upper and lower teeth and squeeze in just a little bit at a time, then wait for a swallow. You can encourage the swallow reflex by gently massaging his throat. You can also give him water mixed 50/50 with children's unflavored, clear Pedialyte in the same way, with the dropper or syringe, to keep him from becoming dehydrated. If a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, he risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis and we would want to avoid that at all costs.
You can also ask the vet about an appetite stimulant, if it's needed.
I hope your furry boy is feeling much better, very soon!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I'm just checking in with you to see how your cat is doing, today, because I am concerned about him.
Were you able to have him evaluated by a vet to see if he has a urinary or intestinal blockage, or is his injury the cause of him not being able to eliminate and also causing pain?
I do hope he's feeling better today and he will have a good recovery from his injury.
Please keep me updated, if you can, on his progress. Thank you!
Warmest regards,
Cher