Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Cat eats every 3 hours but remains skinny. 13 years old, very

Customer Question

Cat eats every 3 hours but remains skinny. 13 years old, very hard stool, won't potty in litter box.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome!
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and Skeeter today.
I'm so glad you had her seen by the vet and she had tests done, but was she tested for hyperthyroidism? That is very common in older cats and can be treated with medication or a prescription food called Y/D, made by Hills and sold by your vet. Sometimes a basic hyperthyroid test is not enough and a more sensitive test needs to be done, so discuss this with your vet. Diabetes and kidney issues can also cause weight loss in older cats. Weight loss in older cats can also be attributed to other causes. Here is more information:
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/services/Companion/Internal/conditions/felinehyperthyroidism.cfm
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/how-identify-cause-weight-loss-geriatric-cats?rel=canonical
As far as the hard stools, she may not be getting enough moisture in her diet, so if she eats only dry food, offer a few feedings of high quality canned food, like EVO or Wellness CORE, or any other well recommended brands that contain nothing artificial, no grains and have meat or fish as the first ingredient. Also, make sure she drinks sufficiently. You can add 1 TBS plain, canned pumpkin to some wet food, 1-2 times a day, to add natural fiber to her diet.
Add 'Cat Attract' litter to her regular one and this contains herbal attractants to encourage litterbox use. She may be pottying outside the box because her hard stools are painful. Add some Alaskan Salmon oil to her food and also give her some hairball remedy gel, like Petromalt or Laxatone, as directed on the package.
An x-ray may be needed to see if she has hair or stool remaining in her intestines after eliminating. The vet should be able to prescribe a stool softener, if the over the counter ones mentioned above, don't work. Also, try Feliway, to help with the inappropriate elimination.
http://www.feliway.com/us/
She may be avoiding the litterbox because it's uncomfortable to pass the hard stools and she associates the place of elimination with that discomfort.
Make sure to clean all soiled areas with an enzyme based cleaner for pet stains, like Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, or Odor Mute; there are many others you will see in your pet store. You want to clean very well, so she doesn't smell where she's soiled before and then think it is an appropriate place to go again.
I hope all will be well with your Skeeter!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Just checking in with you to see how Skeeter is doing. Please update me, if you can, as I'm concerned for her.
Thanks!
Cher