Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have a two year old male cat that is a out door cat we live

Customer Question
out of town with not...
I have a two year old male cat that is a out door cat we live out of town with not many other cats that come around. He is gagging and not keeping any food down. He has gotten terribly skinny over the last few days. I just noticed that he is gagging up like what I would describe as spit.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat
7/14/2015
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 2 years ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
I am sorry Ashes is not feeling well.
Please tell me more about him.
Do you feed him?
If so, what food?
Is he neutered?
Is he still gagging?
After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.
Thanks,
Terri
Dry cat food
Not neutered
Yes still gagging and not looking healthy at all.
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.
He may have something stuck in his mouth, a bad tooth or a sore.
Check roof, under tongue, cheek pouches and between lips and teeth.
If you do not see anything he could have a bad tooth or be nauseated.
Try draining the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if he will lick it up for hydration. If he does offer the tuna.
Get a jar of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic.
Add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) to a tablespoon of food to relieve nausea. Wait 20 minutes and offer the rest of the jar.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
If he needs vet care I have free coupons:
here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer
http://www.banfield.com/exclusiveoffer/
Please let me know how he is doing. Just press reply and I will be here for you.
Please be so kind as to rate my answer positively as that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thanks.
If you need any additional information, just click reply and I will be here for you and your fur baby.. Rating will not cut off our communication. This question will always be open for you to reply to me.
Love,
Terri
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert