Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have two cats one had to go to vet.I brought her home

Customer Question
Hello, I have two cats...
Hello, I have two cats one had to go to vet.I brought her home and my house cat attached her.Since my home cat is just fine but my vwr cat is still hissing and won't give it up.They are spayed and have been together 6 years and I have tried Feliway done everything spray bottle my vet cat will not give in.Vet cat is shy but I just need your help.Please...
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
7/11/2015
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 years ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hello and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you and your kitties today.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this problem with one of your cats.

I'm so glad to hear you're using Feliway, but don't use the spray bottle with water, as I think that may contribute to her agitation.

What's important here, is an exchange of scents. The kitty that returned from the vet smells different and that is upsetting. Take an slightly dampened washcloth and/or t-shirt of yours that has your scent and pet one cat, then the other, then vice-versa. This will help them each have the others' scent on their fur all the time. Also, you can use some of these 'new introduction' methods, even though they are not meeting for the first time: CLICK

In addition to the Feliway, you can also use either Rescue Remedy for pets or Composure chews (don't use them both simultaneously) and you can also get a cat appeasing pheromone collar. The collar can be used with the other calming remedies. Here is more information:

http://www.petco.com/product/122726/Vetri-Science-Composure-Feline-Bite-Sized-Chews.aspx

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3550

http://www.petco.com/product/109457/Sentry-Calming-Collar-for-Cats.aspx

http://www.meridiananimalhealth.com/product/feline/nurturecalm.asp

Try to play with them with interactive toys like a laser pointer and feather dancer. Also, try to feed them or give them treats, side by side, so they associate something pleasurable with each other and cats associate food with love.

As a last resort, discuss an anti-anxiety medication with your vet, like Clomicalm, or the many others that are available for this type of behavior modification.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/clomipramine-clomicalm

I hope all will be well with your kitties!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.

Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.

I just wanted to let you know that if you should reply and I don't respond right away, it either means I'm offline or helping another client, so your patience will be appreciated. I'm also dealing with a serious family emergency at this time and may be at the hospital with my dad. I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored, should you reply or need additional information, and I don't get back to you, immediately. Thank you for your understanding.

Warmest regards,
Cher