Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

One of my Cats is throwing up each morning both of the cats…

Customer Question
One of my Cats is...
One of my Cats is throwing up each morning both of the cats eat normally and are drinking normally and I have not seen which one is throwing up I am not really sure what to do or think
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Cat
7/5/2015
Cat Vet: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about your cat hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I can understand how difficult it can be to determine which cat might be vomiting especially if you don't catch them in the act, so to speak.
And, while it doesn't take much to trigger vomiting in a cat, I'm always a little concerned when a cat this age starts to do so.
You might consider separating them overnight so that you know which one is having this issue. As to possible underlying causes, there could be several possible explanations ranging from systemic disease (issues with the kidneys, pancreas, thyroid or liver, for example) to late onset Inflammatory Bowel Disease to something a little more serious such as cancer.
If neither one is showing other signs such as weight loss or change in appetite or thirst/urination, it's going to be difficult to know how serious this behavior might be.
If you can determine which cat is the culprit, then you could give over the counter Famotidine (Pepcid AC) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet either at night or twice a day. Since this is a fairly safe drug, you could give it to them both if you can't determine which one is vomiting.
Another option to consider (short of bloodwork) would be a change in diet but not so much the consistency as rather the flavors. Many cats with IBD issues are reacting to the ingredients in their food so changing to something more hypoallergenic may be of benefit.
Feeding grain free may help in some cases but other options to consider would be Z/D (from your vet), or Natural Ba***** *****mited Ingredient Diets, Nature's Variety Instincts line, Evo duck or venison, or Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Medallions (I recommend that they be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on each side).
Sometimes this is a trial and error process---finding the food that your cat will eat as well as one that helps with the problem if it's IBD.
Both cats could be fed the same food which will be easier than trying to feed them separately.
If a few simple changes such as I've mentioned above aren't effective, then I'd consider blood work to rule out systemic issues if you can determine which cat to take in.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb